My particular interest is helping foreign clients deal with the English legal system. Chambers’ Global Directory 2015 ranks me as one of only 2 leading UK based lawyers for US Litigation work. My 30+ years of experience gives me the commercial nous to see ahead and circumvent problems for my clients. Given the nature of my specialism, it will not surprise you that my client list contains major governments, government agencies, banks, large corporates, and some highly influential individuals. One client described me as “an excellent litigator who never loses sight of the business goals of the client. He thinks 'outside the box'.” I am often instructed by major foreign law firms to assist their clients in connection with multi-national litigation.
Representative work includes:
• Obtaining evidence in a number of cases brought against banks in the United States for facilitating terrorism by maintaining accounts for terrorist organisations
• Advising a foreign regulator in relation to a case against an English company which is alleged to be in breach of the regulations of the foreign country
• Acting for an investment bank in relation to the Lehman Brothers’ bankruptcy
• Acting for a foreign government financial regulator in relation to breaches of that country's laws by wrongdoers in England
• Cross-border credit-crunch related litigation.
• international/political issues such as state immunity
One of the benefits of specialising in cross-border litigation is it gives me the opportunity to use my linguistic skills (I speak 4 European languages), and travel to some beautiful places in the world.
The areas in which I practise are as follows: -
• commercial litigation
• international litigation
◦ conflicts of laws
◦ public international law
• commercial disputes with a foreign element
• contractual disputes
• employment matters
◦ restrictive covenants
◦ confidential information
• warranty claims
• tortious matters
He frequently advises in relation to public and private international law and represents the government of a friendly foreign state in litigation in England on a regular basis.
Please also see Services for US-based clients.